Rear Seat Folding: How To Utilize Your Crossover or SUV’s Cargo Area
Need a little extra space to bring home that prized garage sale find, or a new TV for the living room? Here’s how to fold the rear seats in a GMC SUV or crossover into a larger, usable load floor.
At GMC, our engineers design our crossovers and SUVs to provide the perfect blend of versatility and functionality. Acadia, Terrain, Yukon, and Yukon XL all provide an optimum blend of passenger seating and cargo capacity – but if added cargo is needed to bring home that prized garage sale find or a new TV for the living room, you’re not out of luck. In fact, it’s fairly easy to quickly fold rear passenger seats down to create a larger, usable load floor in any GMC crossover or SUV.
- Unbuckle rear safety belts
- Place front seatbacks in upright position
- Each section of the seatback has a lever on the outboard edge of the seatback, accessible from the rear doors. Lifting the lever releases that section of seatback.
- While lifting the lever, fold the seatback forward.
- From rear doors:
- Remove anything on, under, or around the seat.
- Fold the head restraints rearward by pushing the button on the side of the head restraint
- Pull up on the reclining seatback handle, located on the outboard sides of the seat cushion.
- From liftgate/ cargo area:
- Pull the levers located on the driver’s side of the cargo hold. The top lever folds the driver’s side seatback, while the bottom lever folds the passenger side.
- Remove objects on or underneath the third row seats, or on the floor between the second and third row seats.
- If second row seats are in a full rear position, adjust it forward to allow the third row seatbacks to fully fold.
- From the cargo area, pull the long strap on each half of the third-row seatback and push on the seatback. The headrest will automatically tumble as the seatback is folded.
- If equipped with manual-folding second row seats (SLE):
- Lift the lever on the outboard side of the seat. This releases the seatback, which will fold forward to create a flat load floor.
- If the seatback cannot fold flat, adjust the front seats – either move them forward or put the front seatback in a more upright position.
- If equipped with Automatic Fold and Tumble second row seats (SLT, Denali):
- Ensure the vehicle’s transmission is placed in park (P).
- From the rear doors:
- Locate the automatic seat release button on the interior panel just behind the rear doors.
- Press the automatic seat button only once. The seatback will release and automatically fold to create a flat load floor.
- From the liftgate/ cargo area:
- Locate the automatic seat release buttons on the interior panel on the passenger side of the cargo area. The pair of buttons closest to the front of the vehicle control the second row seats. Each button controls a corresponding side (left button – left seat, right button – right seat).
- Push each button only once. The seatback will release and automatically fold forward to create a flat load floor.
- Ensure nothing is under, in front of, or on the seats.
- Make sure second-row seatbacks are in upright position
- Fully lower the head restraints
- Disconnect the rear safety belt mini-latch by using a key in the slot on the mini-buckle, and carefully allow the belt to retract into the headliner. Stow the mini-latch in the holder in the headliner.
- If equipped with a manual-folding third-row seat (SLE):
- Pull up on the lever on the back of the seat to release the seatback, and push the seatback forward to lay flat.
- Repeat on the other section of seatback if so desired.
- If equipped with Power Fold Third Row Seats (SLT, Denali)
- Locate the automatic seat release buttons on the interior panel on the passenger side of the cargo area. The pair of buttons closest to the rear of the vehicle control the second row seats. Each button controls a corresponding side of the seat.
- Push and hold each third-row button until the section of the third-row seat is completely folded, forming a flat load floor.