U.S. News & World Report Names GMC Yukon Best Large SUV For Families
Family friendly features allow three-row Yukon full-size SUV to surprise, delight, entertain, and protect families on the go.
With ample room for passengers and plenty of family-focused features and amenities packed inside, it’s no surprise the three-row 2016 GMC Yukon full-size SUV was named Best Large SUV for Families by U.S. News and World Report.
“The Yukon has some of the most family-friendly features in the class,” says Jamie Page Deaton, managing editor of U.S. News & World Report. “And some, like Apple CarPlay compatibility1 and in-car Wi-Fi are really cutting edge, standout features. The Yukon also won because it has such a high U.S. News score -- it gets really positive reviews not only for its space and comfort, but also its performance.”
Here are some of the features and attributes that make the 2016 Yukon an ideal three-row large SUV for families:
- Room For It All: Whether you’re hauling the whole family or bringing some friends, neighbors, or teammates along for the ride, Yukon has room for plenty of passengers. As a three-row SUV, Yukon offers available seating for up to 9 passengers. Bucket seats, which are available on Yukon SLT and standard on Yukon Denali, provide the ultimate in passenger comfort.
Need to carry cargo instead? Yukon’s 2nd and 3rd row seating folds flat, providing a flat cargo floor and up to 94.7 cubic feet of cargo space2 behind the first row of seats. Better yet, Yukon SLT and Denali offer power-folding 2nd and 3rd row seatbacks, making the transformation from people mover to cargo carrier incredibly easy.
- Smart Storage: GMC’s interior design team paid close attention when crafting the Yukon’s interior, and provided ample space for storage. For instance, the full-length center console offers a spacious concealed compartment, and also incorporates a wireless charging pad on Yukon SLT and Yukon Denali models for compatible smartphones and devices into its lid. There’s also another storage compartment hidden behind the IntelliLink3 touch screen – at a touch of a button, the screen slides up to reveal a storage cubby, which also includes a USB port for charging a phone or connecting a media device.
- Hands-Free Help: The hands-free power liftgate, standard on Yukon SLT and Denali, can be opened by simply waving a foot underneath Yukon’s rear bumper. As Deaton says, this feature “is so helpful when you’re juggling kids and bags.”
The same can be said for the Passive Entry system, which is standard on Yukon SLT and Yukon Denali. Instead of needing to fish for and fumble with keys, Yukons equipped with this system automatically detect a key fob placed in a pocket or purse, allowing you to lock or unlock the vehicle by simply grabbing the door handle.
- Advanced Connectivity: Yukon’s standard IntelliLink system, which incorporates an eight-inch color touchscreen display, is at the heart of many of Yukon’s advanced connectivity features. In addition to offering hands-free Bluetooth phone pairing4, the 2016 Yukon’s IntelliLink system also offers Apple CarPlay compatibility and, beginning in late March, Android Auto compatibility5. Additionally, Yukon offers an available in-car 4G Wi-Fi6, which provides passengers with data connections for up to seven mobile devices while on the go.
- Helpful Technology: Yukon offers technologies to help the driver both in parking lots and on the open road. Ultrasonic front and rear park assist systems, which detect obstacles when pulling into or out of parking spots, are standard on all Yukon models, as is a reverse camera. A Rear Cross Traffic Alert System, which detects approaching vehicles when backing out of a parking spot, is standard on Yukon SLT and Yukon Denali.
Yukon’s Enhanced Driver Alert Package, available on Yukon SLE models and standard on both the Yukon SLT and Yukon Denali, includes other advanced driver features like Forward Collision Alert, Lane Keep Assist, Safety Alert Driver Seat, and IntelliBeam headlamps. Adaptive Cruise Control is available on Yukon SLT and Yukon Denali, while Side Blind Zone Alert is standard on both Yukon SLT and Yukon Denali.
- Standard Safety: Every 2016 GMC Yukon includes a long list of standard safety features, including four-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock braking technology, and Stabilitrak electronic stability control with rollover mitigation technology. Dual-stage frontal airbags, front side impact airbags, and side curtain airbags for all three rows are standard, while Yukon models with front bucket seats also include a Front Center Airbag, which deploys from the inboard side of the driver’s seat and provides added protection to front passengers in side-impact collisions.