The chart below gives you an idea of the maximum amount of weight you can confidently and safely trailer with different GMC model lines when your vehicle is properly equipped. When determining the total weight of trailer and cargo, include the weight of any additional passengers and optional equipment (driver weight and base equipment are already included).
For trailering, GMC recommends an automatic transmission for convenience and improved performance. Sierra Heavy Duty trucks equipped with the available Duramax Diesel engine include the Allison 6-speed automatic with Tow/Haul mode, which raises upshift points to use more of the engine’s power for strong acceleration and raises downshift points to help slow your truck using engine braking. On select Sierra Light Duty, Yukon and Canyon models, a Hydra-Matic 8-speed automatic transmission provides smooth and precise shifting.
This chart indicates which GMC vehicles are able to be towed behind another vehicle, such as a motor home, with all four wheels on the ground.
These charts specify the maximum trailer weight for your vehicle, assuming use of a weight-distributing hitch.
The maximum rating for a weight-carrying hitch is listed at left. Do not exceed the maximum trailer weight rating1. Some models, when loaded with the driver, passenger and maximum tongue load, may exceed the maximum Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) or rear-axle weight rating for that vehicle, which is not permissible. For more information, ask your GMC sales professional or call 1-800-GMC-8782.
1. When properly equipped. Maximum trailer weight ratings are calculated assuming a base vehicle, except for any options necessary to achieve the rating, plus driver.
2. Trailering weights are calculated assuming properly equipped vehicle, plus driver and one passenger. The weight of other optional equipment, passengers and cargo will reduce the trailer weight your vehicle can tow. See dealer for details.
3. EPA-estimated 15 city/21 hwy MPG with the 5.3L V8 engine. Based on 2012 GM Large Pickup segment.
4. EPA-estimated city/hwy MPG: Sierra 1500 with Vortec 4.3L V6, 15/20; Sierra XFE with Vortec 5.3L V8, 15/22; Yukon with Vortec 5.3L V8, 15/21; Yukon Hybrid with Vortec 6.0L V8, 20/23; Yukon XL with Vortec 5.3L V8, 15/21.
5. V6 equipped models only.
6. EPA-estimated 15 city/21 hwy MPG. Based on 2011 GM Large SUV segment.
7. EPA-estimated mpg: Canyon Crew Cab 2WD with 2.9L I-4 engine, 18 city/25 hwy.; Savana 1500 2WD with 5.3L V-8 engine, 13 city/17 hwy.; Sierra 1500 XFE with 5.3L V-8 engine, 15 city/22 hwy.; Yukon with 5.3L V-8 engine, 15 city/21 hwy.
8. Cargo and load capacity limited by weight and distribution.