VEHICLE SOFTWARE UPDATES
With vehicle software updates, you can receive free enhancements, purchase new upgrades and get bug fixes right from your driveway using over-the-air technology. Updates are downloaded and installed via Connected Access† or by connecting your vehicle to a Wi-Fi® network — no paid data plan necessary.
ABOUT VEHICLE SOFTWARE UPDATES
Using over-the-air technology, vehicle software updates are automatically downloaded to your vehicle. Follow the prompts on screen to install.
- Make sure your vehicle has connectivity. Avoid parking in an underground garage or covered space.
- You may be asked to accept the User Terms and Conditions and Privacy Statement for your vehicle to be eligible for vehicle software updates.
- Update notifications will be sent to your vehicle, and you can also manually check for them using the center display.
- There are two steps to getting the update: software download and installation.
Learn more about vehicle software updates.
Software downloads are initiated automatically and occur in the background.
- You can continue to use your vehicle normally during a software download.
- Downloads automatically pause and resume if you turn off your vehicle or lose connectivity (e.g., if you pull into a parking garage).
- Download times will vary, depending on the size of an update and your wireless signal strength.
- Once a download is complete, you’ll be prompted to install the update the next time you shift your vehicle into PARK. You can also choose to be reminded later, schedule or decline the installation.
- If you decline an update, the update will cancel, and you may need to take your vehicle to a dealer if you want to perform the update later.
- You’ll be asked to put your vehicle in PARK and turn off the engine/vehicle to initiate most updates.
- While an update is being performed, you can’t drive your vehicle and the center display may remain active during the update. Park in a safe and secure location before beginning any update.
- Generally, software installation takes about 20 minutes or less.
- You don’t have to stay in your vehicle during an update.
- If you leave your vehicle during an update, close your windows and lock your doors. Don’t lock occupants inside.
- It’s normal for your center display to stay on during an update. You may also notice one or more system resets during an installation process.
Yes. Vehicle software updates can be performed by your servicing dealer. As always, if you have any questions or concerns about a vehicle software update, contact your dealer for assistance.
You can check the progress of a vehicle software download or installation in the Settings menu in your center display. Look for either of the following (steps may vary by vehicle):
- Settings > System > Vehicle Software > Updates.
- Settings > Software Information > System Update.
Most vehicle software update situations will resolve on their own through natural use of your vehicle. For example, a message about a download or connection error may happen in situations where your vehicle has limited cellular connectivity. In that case, the situation will be resolved once your vehicle is moved into an area with better cellular connectivity. If your error does not automatically resolve after a few ignition cycles, you should contact your dealer for assistance.
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE?
NEED MORE HELP?
Communicate with one of our specialists.
To find out if your vehicle has this feature, contact your dealer or refer to your vehicle’s equipment list. Please check your Owner’s Manual for more information about features.