ABOUT LANE KEEP ASSIST WITH LANE DEPARTURE WARNING
Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning uses a brief, gentle steering wheel turn to alert† you when you may be unintentionally drifting out of detected lane lines, so you can steer to stay safely in your lane. If needed, you may receive additional Lane Departure Warning alerts. System alerts do not occur if you’re using your turn signal or it detects you may be intentionally leaving your lane.
WHAT IS LANE KEEP ASSIST WITH LANE DEPARTURE WARNING?
Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning uses a forward-looking camera that’s mounted behind your vehicle’s windshield, in front of the inside rearview mirror. It works when your vehicle is moving forward in DRIVE above approximately 37 mph on most vehicles. Check your Owner’s Manual for the exact speed at which this feature operates on your vehicle.
HOW THE FEATURE ALERTS YOU WHEN YOU MAY BE UNINTENTIONALLY DRIFTING OUT OF DETECTED LANE LINES
- When a left or right lane line is detected and you are traveling forward above the system’s operating speed, a green LANE KEEP ASSIST icon is displayed. The icon will look like either a vehicle with white lines on either side or two lane lines, depending on your vehicle.
- If the system anticipates that your vehicle is about to leave its lane unintentionally, an amber LANE KEEP ASSIST icon is displayed. At the same time, a brief “push back” or nudge of steering is provided to help keep the vehicle in its lane.
- If the nudge doesn’t prevent the lane departure — if, for example, you’re driving around a curve — and you haven’t reacted, the amber LANE KEEP ASSIST icon will flash when the vehicle leaves the lane. This is a Lane Departure Warning alert. Three beeps or three seat pulses (if your vehicle has a Safety Alert Seat) will occur from the direction of the unintentional lane drift.
- If Lane Keep Assist is on and the feature is unable to detect the lane lines, the LANE KEEP ASSIST icon will turn white.
- When an intentional lane change is detected, the system may provide a steering assist without a Lane Departure Warning.
- If the system detects you may not be steering the vehicle, you may see a TAKE STEERING icon alert.
- If you’re actively steering or using your turn signal, the steering wheel nudges are disabled.
- Always use your turn signal when making a lane change.
THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN USING LANE KEEP ASSIST WITH LANE DEPARTURE WARNING
- It’s important to remember that even though this feature provides brief steering nudges, it doesn’t continuously steer your vehicle.
- The system doesn’t issue warnings when it detects you’re intentionally leaving the lane, it determines that you’re intentionally leaving the lane if you’re using the turn signal or actively steering, accelerating or braking.
TURNING THE FEATURE OFF
This feature can be turned on or off using the Lane Keep Assist button that looks like a vehicle between two spotted lines.
RELATED LINKS AND RESOURCES
It won’t issue a warning if it detects you’re intentionally leaving the lane by using a turn signal, intentionally steering out of the lane, deliberately accelerating or braking.
Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning is not intended to replace normal driver attention or steering, so you should be actively steering to stay in your lane at all times. It’s also designed to try to avoid giving you corrections when you’re intentionally changing lanes. Therefore, your vehicle may be over the lane marker before a warning is issued.
The LANE KEEP ASSIST icon will turn white under these conditions:
- The feature is unable to detect lane lines that are faded, on a curve or hill, or not visible due to weather or low-visibility conditions.
- You're not moving fast enough for the feature to activate.
- If you're braking or accelerating.
If the camera is covered or not properly cleaned (e.g., if the windshield is covered with frost or snow), the system might not function as intended. Also, if lanes are not clearly visible to the system’s camera sensor, the system may not function as intended. You may see a white LANE KEEP ASSIST icon display when this happens on some vehicles.
You may receive a "TAKE STEERING" alert when you are driving normally with little steering wheel movement. This may occur when you don’t need to move your steering wheel often to maintain your lane position.
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE?
NEED MORE HELP?
Communicate with one of our specialists.
To find out if your vehicle has this feature, contact your dealer or refer to your vehicle’s equipment list. Please check your Owner’s Manual for more information about features.