HOW TO USE CRABWALK
Difficulty Level: Intermediate | Time Required: 2 Minutes | Tools Required: None | Related Parts, Products, Services or Technology: None
Travel Diagonally for More Maneuverability While Off-Roading and Parking
CrabWalk† is a unique available 4-Wheel Steering mode designed to offer greater maneuverability when you’re off-roading or parking. By using CrabWalk, you can traverse off-road trails or maneuver in parking situations that would normally be extremely challenging in a vehicle this size.
The feature allows the angle of the rear wheels to mimic the angle of the front wheels — allowing your vehicle to move more diagonally.
WHAT IS CRABWALK?
CrabWalk is a 4-Wheel Steering setting that allows the angle of the rear wheels to mimic the angle of the front wheels up to a certain angle (between seven and 10 degrees in either direction, depending on your vehicle). This allows you to move your vehicle diagonally.
You may want to move your vehicle diagonally in certain off-roading situations or to make some parking maneuvers easier. For example, if the rear of your vehicle is facing an obstacle on the left side and you need to turn your vehicle to the right to get around it, you might risk colliding with the obstacle in Normal Mode.
By moving the vehicle diagonally with CrabWalk, you have the option of moving the vehicle to help avoid collisions with objects within your turning radius.
CrabWalk can only be used at speeds below 20 mph. At speeds above 20 mph, the front and rear wheels will no longer turn at the same angle. If you continue to drive above 25 mph for longer than 10 seconds, CrabWalk will disengage and return the system to Automatic 4-Wheel Steering mode.
HOW TO TURN CRABWALK ON
Here’s how to engage CrabWalk:
1. Your vehicle cannot be going faster than crawl speed (about 1.2 mph).
2. Your steering wheel must be still and centered for CrabWalk to engage.
3. Depending on your vehicle, you’ll turn on CrabWalk using either the Driver Mode Selector knob or the infotainment screen.
a. Press and hold the 4-Wheel Steering button on the Driver Mode Control dial for several seconds.
i. The button is on the left side of the selector knob and looks like an overhead outline of a vehicle.
4. When CrabWalk is first engaging, you’ll see an animation on your infotainment screen.
5. When CrabWalk is engaged, your infotainment system will automatically display HD Surround Vision, so you can see more of your vehicle’s surroundings.
6. Once CrabWalk is active, you can drive at speeds of up to 20 mph. Above 20 mph, the front and rear wheels will no longer turn at the same angle.
As with other 4-Wheel Steering modes, there is a limit to how far your rear wheels will turn — an angle of between seven and 10 degrees in either direction, depending on your vehicle.
HOW TO TURN CRABWALK OFF
To turn CrabWalk off, press the 4-Wheel Steering icon on the Driver Mode Selector again.
CERTAIN VEHICLE FUNCTIONS ARE DISABLED WHEN USING CRABWALK
- Trailering features such as Transparent Trailer, Articulation Angle Indicator, Jackknife Alert and certain sets of guidelines are unavailable with CrabWalk activated
- Lane Keep Assist is not available with CrabWalk activated
For your security, please don’t include personal info such as phone number, address or credit card details.
RELATED LINKS AND RESOURCES
CrabWalk can only be enabled when your vehicle is at crawl speed or stopped (up to 1.2 mph). Your steering wheel must be centered before you can turn the feature on as well. The feature will also temporarily disable itself if you go above 20 mph and turn back on when you go below 20 mph again. If you go faster than 25 mph for more than 10 seconds, CrabWalk will disengage.
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE?
NEED MORE HELP?
Communicate with one of our specialists.