STAY CONNECTED WITH AMAZON ALEXA BUILT-IN COMPATIBILITY
If you have ever wanted to take Amazon Alexa† functionality with you on the road, now you can with Alexa Built-In† — the in-vehicle app that is available on select 2018 and newer GMC vehicles with compatible infotainment systems.
This app can be accessed via the GMC Infotainment System† while keeping your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. Once an Amazon account is linked, thousands of skills and features used at home can be accessed from inside a GMC vehicle. These can include streaming audio media, adding items to an Amazon or Whole Foods Market shopping cart, and controlling compatible smart home devices†.
Alexa Built-In can now be found in the Canyon (model year 2019 and newer), Sierra 1500 (model year 2019 and newer), Sierra Heavy Duty (model year 2019 and newer), Terrain (model year 2018 and newer), Acadia (model year 2020) and Yukon (model year 2021).
SETTING UP ALEXA BUILT-IN
SETTING UP ALEXA BUILT-IN
To start, users must have a Connected Services† data plan or data trial, as well as an account with Amazon to use Alexa Built-In.
You can purchase a plan online. You can also speak with an advisor directly by calling 1.888.4.ONSTAR or by pressing the blue OnStar®† button in your GMC.
Next, with the vehicle parked, follow these simple steps:
- Download and open the Alexa Built-In app from the GMC Infotainment System. Since there are multiple screens, users may have to swipe to find Alexa Built-In.
- Once the setup screen appears, a prompt will ask the user to touch the Get Started button.
- The screen will then display a terms and conditions page. To accept, touch agree and then the continue button.
- Next, sign in to Amazon by going to Amazon.com/code on a smartphone, tablet or laptop, and enter the code that appears on the infotainment screen. There’s also a second sign-in option of using a smartphone or tablet to scan a QR code that appears on the touch screen.
- The final step is to select the preferred method of waking Alexa from the Push to Talk button on the steering wheel or by tapping the Alexa icon on-screen. By choosing the steering wheel button, Alexa will become the default voice system for the vehicle.
To get more information on the Alexa Built-In and other apps, visit the GMC In-Vehicle App Experience page.
Whether you want the latest news, the ability to control smart home† devices, or to add items to your Amazon shopping list or cart, using Alexa Built-In gives you convenience and flexibility.
In addition to the tens of thousands of Alexa skills available, you’ll be able to take advantage of commands that build on the in-vehicle experience. These include:
- Navigation†: Ask Alexa to give you directions to a specific address or a point of interest (e.g., nearby restaurants, GMC dealerships).
- Media: Ask Alexa to play a specific song, artist, genre or station on available streaming services, like Spotify† and Amazon Music. You can also request audiobooks or podcasts.
- Calendar: Ask Alexa to add events and appointments to your calendar.
Amazon Alexa Built-In is getting even better. All compatible GMC vehicles are receiving a software update that continues to help improve the connectivity and functionality for drivers. This software update includes the following enhancements.
- Volume Control: Use your voice to turn the volume of your music or podcast up or down.
- Climate Controls: Now you’ll be able to adjust the temperate in your vehicle with Amazon Alexa Built-In. Simply say “Alexa, change the temperature to 77 degrees”
For more information about availability and features, visit Support.